Portland Local News

 

Fireworks cause car wash fire

Fireworks cause car wash fire

On Monday July 1, shortly after 10:00 p.m., 911 dispatchers began receiving multiple calls reporting the car wash at the Shell Gas Station at 10725 SE 82nd Avenue was on fire. 

While enroute to the scene, crews reported heavy black smoke and upgraded the response to a second alarm due to its proximity to a gas station. 

Upon arrival firefighters found a large volume of fire and smoke coming from a detached car wash facilty. 

Crews quickly went to work to extinguish the fire and secure the facility.
Two workers suffered minor injuries after falling on the ground but declined medical transport or treatment on scene.

Fire Investigators, after conducting multiple interviews and reviewing various reports and pieces of information have determined that the fire was caused by a firework that was either thrown or placed inside the car wash, igniting a large brush.

It is not known if the firework was legal or illegal.  At this time the investigation remains open and ongoing and Clackamas Fire is working in partnership with the Clackamas County Sheriffs Office. Damage estimates are not available at this time. Should you have any information about this incident please call the Clackamas Fire Prevention office at 503.742.2660.

Clackamas Fire would like to remind people to use only legal fireworks this 4th of July and ensure that they are put out in a metal bucket of water after use.  Have a safe and happy 4th of July.

 

More Articles